Founded in 1869 the Glasgow University Rugby Football Club is one of the University’s oldest student groups, predating the Glasgow University Sports Association, to which it is now affiliated. The GURFC was one of the eight founding members of the Scottish Rugby Union (SRU) and is the 3rd oldest Scottish University rugby club.
The standard of rugby at the GURFC has been consistently high having fielded thirteen full internationalists in the past and we are currently in the middle of retrieving those names that represented their country. If you can help us out with this, or any other history linked to the GURFC we would be delighted to hear from you.
1st XV Playing History
- 2012/13: BUCS Scottish 2A – 1st Place (promoted), Scottish Conference Cup Pool 2 – 1st Place, BUCS Scottish Conference Cup – 2nd Place.
- 2011/12: BUCS Scottish 2A – 2nd Place, BUCS Scottish Conference Cup Pool E – 1st Place, BUCS Scottish Conference Cup – Round 1.
- 2010/11: Reinstated in to Men’s 2A Scottish Conference – Finished 3rd.
- 2009/10: Intermural rugby played within the University only. Team was reinstated by the University and allowed to use both the University’s name and facilities.
- 2008/09: BUCS Men’s 2A Scottish Conference – Team disbanded on 1st January 2009 and were withdrawn from BUCS having been banned from using the University’s name and facilities. They were top of the league and were unbeaten before being disbanded.
- 2007/08: BUCS Men’s 3A Scottish Conference – Finished 1st (promoted).
- 2006/07: BUCS Men’s 2A Scottish Conference – Finished 4th (relegated).
- 2005/06: BUCS Men’s 2A Scottish Conference – Finished 2nd.
- 2004/05: BUCS Men’s 1A Scottish Conference – Finished 4th (relegated).
2nd XV Playing History
- 2012/13: BUCS Scottish 5A – 2nd Place (promoted due to league reconstruction), BUCS Scottish Conference Cup Pool 4 – 4th Place.
- 2012/13: Blair Couper
- 2011/12: Robbie Shedden
- 2010/11: Hamish Frost
- 2009/10: Andrew Thomson
- 2008/09: Ian Watkinson
- 2007/08: Alexander Purdie